York, North Yorkshire
We are looking for a Caretaker to work with the local community and a housing team to ensure that the amenities and facilities at a new housing site are well maintained and managed.
You will be cleaning and maintaining the communal areas of the community building, to ensure that it’s kept in a good condition, as well as co-ordinating the use of and providing access to, the space and ensuring site security at all times.
Whilst reporting to the Housing Officer for this area in York, the post holder will work closely and in conjunction with all teams delivering their services including the Housing Team, the Communities Team, Parks and Landscapes Team, Property Services, and other partner agencies.
The Caretaker will facilitate the smooth running of the Community centre and public open spaces as well as:
- Engaging proactively with the local community in the use of the facilities offered
- Assisting the team delivering a high standard of landscape maintenance with responsibility including litter picking; emptying litter & dog waste bins; cleaning of hard landscaped areas such as paths, decking and parking areas.
- Taking responsibility for opening and locking the play areas. Provide visual checks of the areas for vandalism and defects. Daily safety checks of the play equipment.
- Caretaking the Centre including the opening/locking of the building, ensuring building is clean and tidy.
- Periodic fire and health & safety checks
- Carrying out risk assessments & dynamic risk assessments prior to and whilst carrying out tasks. Reporting any health and safety concerns/issues as they arise.
- Carry out minor works throughout the site and reporting larger jobs to the Customer Access Team.
- With the Housing Officer and the Housing team, assisting in the provision of information for new residents, including signposting and liaising more widely as appropriate.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Experience of working as a caretaker or in a similar role
- Basic health and safety knowledge to include including working at heights, lifting and handling and safe working practices
- Experience of working in an inclusive, customer focused environment
- Proactive, responsive, problem solver
Job type: Permanent, part time
Hourly rate: £11.36 per hour
Hours: 19.5 hours per week - flexible approach required but a standard week will be Weds. pm, all day Thursday & Friday (weekend and evening work maybe required in exceptional circumstances)
Get in touch!
Give us a shout - call 01904 769142